This Day in Dayton, 9 March
On March 1, 1850, an advertisement appeared in the Lafayette Daily Journal offering for sale three tracts of land. The land is offered by A. B. Chissom, a local name. One tract, forty acres cleared and fenced, is one and a half miles east of Lafayette, The other two tracts are near Dayton. One, eighty acres, is described as "prairie land, in a good state of cultivation...near the Dayton Plank Road." The other, also eighty acres, is listed as "eighty acres of timber," apparently uncleared land, "in the vicinity of Dayton." This suggests that there were still woods and forest in the area.