This Day in Dayton, 8 March
In 1829, Samuel McGeorge concluded an agreement with Chief Richardville whereby McGeorge paid $4200 for the 3200 acres of Richardville Reserve ($1.33 per acre, or 5 cents more than the government price). The deed signed June 6, 1829, with Richardville’s children as grantors, states that the money was paid directly to Richardville. Four the children and Richardville himself signed the deed (one of the children was blind). The transfer had to be approved by the President of the United States, and on October 17, 1829, it was signed by President Andrew Jackson (Deed recorded March 8, 1830, Deed Record B, p. 64).