This Day in Dayton, 6 March

The Knights of Pythias, Sheffield Lodge No. 414, was organized March 5, 1895, with 27 charter members. The local lodge was called a “castle” and meetings were held on the 3rd floor of the Dayton House, also known as the Sims Hotel (Hatton). The Dayton Items in the Evening Journal and Courier of March 4, 1926 reported that the Knights of Pythias held their annual supper on the anniversary of the founding of the castle in Dayton. On March 5, 1926 they were celebrating their 31st birthday, meeting now in their own hall above Widmer’s drug store. Attendance was 215 for supper followed by a program and dancing. (“Dayton Pythians to Observe 31st Birthday, Mar. 5,” Journal and Courier, 4 Mar. 1926)

Susan ClawsonComment