This Day in Dayton, 23 March
In March 1867, the Dayton Union Seminary became the Dayton Academy, but it would only last five more years. The Dayton Academy articles of association are dated March 17, 1867. On March 23, 1867, Dayton Union Seminary deeded the land for the school to “Dayton Academy Seminary.” Thomas C. Radcliffe was principal that year. In 1867 the state law allowing a local option school tax was finally re-established. The 1867 law would pass the constitutional test and remain law. This probably made possible the school that was built in 1872 as a free public school, replacing the Academy.