This Day in Dayton, 10 February
On February 10, 1872, the Courier reported that Sheffield township was building a new school house. This would be the school known locally as the Tower School. It would be a graded school, not a one-room “blab” school, which meant it would be very modern. The cost was estimated at $5,000. It was built on the corner of the present school site, closest to Conjunction Street. In 1872 the township was composed of eleven school districts with a total enrollment of 439. Nearly a fourth of the total—or 139 pupils—were in Dayton. Teachers at Dayton were Prof. J. P. Rous, Miss L. A. Carnahan, and Mr. E. A. Sims.