This Day in Dayton, 1 March
The 1830 census listed twenty-six families in Fairfield totaling 138 people. That year, David Gregory, perhaps encouraged by the success of Horram and Bush, platted a fourteen-lot addition to the town of Fairfield. Located on the north side of the road, this addition effectively joined the two towns (plat filed March 1, 1830; recorded October 5, 1830; Book B, page 278). About this time, the name of the settlement was changed to Dayton, and all three plats were joined. One story tells that Gregory offered to donate land for a school and school grounds if the new town was called Dayton (Sesqui 77). Other versions merely say that he suggested the name. Gregory and a number of other settlers were from counties near Dayton, Ohio, so the choice was logical and must have had the comfortable sound of home. The new name was necessary because difficulty had been encountered in obtaining a post office in the new town. Application had been made in the name of Fairfield and it had been denied because there was already a post office called Fairfield in the state (Hatton and others). Gregory named two new streets in his addition (Conjunction and Market), renamed Washington street (Jackson, demonstrating the popularity of the current president), and extended the other streets (Main and Walnut). And in July 1831, he did indeed donate a lot for the school, lot 19 on Main Street.