This Day in Dayton, 14 February
In the 1870s, Wilbert Baker (postmaster from 1878 to 1885) and Lewis Dryer (who had closed his cooperage and now ran a grocery) published a paper called the Dayton Vidette. In 1879 (in the paper of February 14), an advertisement appeared for a dentist, E. T. Leiter. Also in 1879 the Vidette published an account of the funeral of Rev. James A. Carnahan and details of his life and accomplishments. In 1834 Father Carnahan, as he was affectionately known, had founded the Dayton Presbyterian Church, which later added “Memorial” to its name in memory of Father Carnahan. He lived locally and had served the church for most of its early years prior to his death on 19 January 1879. He came to Tippecanoe County as pastor of the Lafayette Presbyterian Church and founded many churches in the “Wabash Country,” from Frankfort to Delphi to Monticello. The funeral was attended by many notables. The funeral oration was read by the president of Wabash College at Crawfordsville, which Carnahan had helped to found. He is buried in Dayton Cememtery (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/21141093).