This Day in Dayton, 5 September
On September 5, 1871, David Gregory platted eleven more lots on the north side of town. Seven of them lay immediately north of his second addition and were filed as a second addition “continued.” The other four were called the third addition and were located across the street from the present school lot, which Gregory deeded to Sheffield township the same year. These four lots filled in the land between the existing town and the lot for the planned new public high school, the Tower School, built in 1872 and opened in 1873. The fourth lot was narrower than the other lots, leaving a wider street which may have been intended as an area for a public market. The wider street was an extension of market street. The street between the school and the new Third Addition was named College Street.