This Day in Dayton, 30 September
In 1953 Mr. Earl Funk, Dayton’s postmaster, reached mandatory retirement age and was forced to retire as postmaster, turning the job over to Ralph Biery. He was not confirmed, however, and Lola M. Dixon assumed charge on September 30, 1954. When she took over, the post office was a small room at the back of Funk’s grocery store in the present post office building. Within a few years, Mr. Funk closed his grocery and the post office took over the entire building. It has been gradually remodeled and expanded to its present appearance. Sue Funk remained as postal clerk for Mrs. Dixon until she too reached retirement age. Lola Dixon retired about 1979. Postmasters since have included Ruth Dilden and Marilyn Parnell.