This Day in Dayton, 16 September
On September 16, 1829, William Bush and Dr. Timothy Horram recorded their two plats that laid the basis for the town of Dayton. William Bush’s plat is recorded in the book first (Deed Book A, p. 381), earning him the honor of town founder. He named his town Marquis de; the state road along which it lay he named Lafayette, all probably suggested by the tour the Marquis de Lafayette was making of the country about that time. The road leading south from Lafayette Street he called Washington Street. He may have envisioned Washington Street as the main street, since it is nearly twice as wide as Lafayette Street. Sixteen lots were laid out along the south side of Lafayette Street, with a large block on the corner of Washington and Lafayette which lay outside the plat. In later deeds, this is dubbed Fancher’s Acre. Between every two lots there was an alley. It seems likely that some of these lots were already occupied when the plat was recorded, for Samuel Favorite is supposed to have located in Dayton in the spring of 1829, and the town is traditionally dated from 1827.
Dr. Timothy Horram’s plat is recorded on the following page in the book (Deed Book A, p. 382). He called his town Fairfield; the road through town he called Walnut Street, the name by which it is still known today. Eighty lots and eight outlots lay within a grid of seven streets. Each block contained eight lots with an alley running north and south down the middle of the block. The streets were named after states (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Delaware), and presidents (Washington, Jefferson). There was the predictable Main Street, and Walnut Street, named for the grove of Walnut trees in the vicinity. Perhaps the naming of Washington Street caused Bush’s Washington Street to be called by another name (when Gregory platted his addition the next year, he called it Jackson Street).