This Day in Dayton, 16 August
In August 1870 the Dayton Academy advertised the opening of the fall term. Editor Lingle reported it in his paper under the headline “Dayton Academy,” but called it “Dayton Collegiate Institute” in the text. He gives the principal as Rev. William M. Fraley, pastor of the local Methodist Episcopal church (Courier, August 16, 1870). The photo was taken after the Academy had closed and the Carriage Factory had taken over the building.