This Day in Dayton, 20 July
In July 1831, David Gregory deeded lot 19 of his first addition to Dayton to the “School District Dayton” (July 5, 1831, to be exact). Perhaps this was in fulfillment of his promise to donate land for school purposes. The land was then at the edge of town, directly south of the present school grounds. Although the cornerstone of the 1916 building asserts that there has been a school on that land since 1827, it seems likely that the earliest school was actually a bit to the south, on this lot 19, which is located on the north side of Main Street, two doors west of the site of the Universalist church at the corner of Main and Conjunction.