This Day in Dayton, 24 June
On June 24, 1863, the new mounted infantry brigade (including the 72nd Indiana) got its first trial at Hoover’s Gap, near Murfreesboro, Tennessee. With Col. Samuel Kirkpatrick and five companies of the 72nd in the advance, the brigade occupied the gap so quickly the rebels were overwhelmed. The firing of the Spencer rifles was likened to lightning, and the brigade was christened the Lightning Brigade. Gen. Thomas himself directed that the brigade be referred to by that name thereafter (Sunderland). Many men from Dayton and Sheffield and Lauramie townships were in the 72nd Indiana Volunteer Infantry.