This Day in Dayton, 19 June

A story in the Journal and Courier on June 19, 1983 anticipated the demolition of the old 1916 Dayton Sheffield Township school to make way for a new building by fall. The gymnasium, new in fall 1952, would be the only section to be retained, and it would be remodeled. The addition was added in 1962 was also demolished. The building was in such a state of repair that it was difficult to work in the cafeteria kitchen, and pots and pans had to be carried back and forth to the Methodist Church kitchen. Fuses were constantly blowing in the classrooms. The heating system was antiquated. The size of the classrooms was below the state standard. The new building would remedy all of that and more. [No posting on June 18]

Susan ClawsonComment