This Day in Dayton, 14 June
In 1835 the last three parcels of government land in Sheffield township were sold. Rev. James Carnahan and John Steen each bought forty acres, and in June, Henry Ellsworth, an Eastern land developer who owned a lot of land on the Grand Prairie in Benton County as well as other land in Tippecanoe County, bought the final 160 acres on the western edge of the township. Eleven years after the land was first offered for sale, it was all sold. After 1835, settlers could no longer buy government land in Sheffield township.