This Day in Dayton, 13 June
In 1856 Samuel Favorite and George Kellenberger built Dayton Mill on the site of the old sawmill in Wild Cat Creek. The mill, a large, three-story frame building located on a mill race on the west bank of the Wild Cat Creek, was both a grist mill and a flouring mill. D. H. Crouse received the first grist in June of that year. The mill ground wheat and corn, and in the early years shipped most of its production to the east, mainly to New Bedford. Later it was kept busy supplying local needs. Harrison Gladden was foreman of the mill for 21 years and at one time was part owner (1860 census occ: miller). There had been millers in the Gladden family for several generations. Gladden was a brother to Kellenberger’s wife Catherine, and his first wife was Priscilla Robeson, daughter of Edward Robeson of the family who owned Robeson Woolen Mill). Much of the reputation of the mill was traced to his skill as a miller (Sesqui). Photo is from the 1878 Atlas.