This Day in Dayton, 1 June
In spite of the Civil War, the county made plans to build a covered bridge across the Wild Cat Creek. This bridge was to be a toll-free bridge. In March 1864 the county pledged $2000 for the bridge, provided that local landowners first subscribed and spent $3000 of their own money. The completion date was set for June 1, 1864. The bridge when completed contained two spans, each about 110 feet long, with stone supports. Its two trusses extended below the floor. The low, rounded roof was unusual, there being only one other bridge with a similar roof in the state (Gould; Covered Bridges of Indiana).