This Day in Dayton, 7 May
In May 1859 Van S. Burton was named postmaster (Sesqui 77). Burton’s appointment seems to have coincided with his opening a store, for he did so in 1859. The location is not known, but he owned a lot in 1866 on Walnut street across the alley from the David Paden home (1866 map). The Paden home was the brick house on the southeast corner of Conjunction and SR 38 (Walnut Street). Later, he bought the Favorite General Store on the northwest corner of Walnut and Market streets.