This Day in Dayton, 6 May
The Dayton to Lafayette portion of the Dayton Plank Road opened in May or June 1850 (Kriebel, 2/4/83). The Dayton Plank Road was part of the Lafayette Plank Road that began north of Crawfordsville and ran through Lafayette to Dayton and beyond. The Lafayette Plank Road Company was formed in 1849 (Commissioners Rec. Vol. E, p. 135, cited in Indiana Inventory 13). In 1851 the Junction Plank Road Company was organized to build the Dayton-Clinton County line portion (Commissioners’ Record Vol. E, p. 566, cited in Indiana Inventory 13).