This Day in Dayton, May
A 1959 Journal and Courier newspaper clipping reports on the election of new officers by the Dayton Community Club, a civic organization that functioned as a sort of town government before the 1970 incorporation. The clipping does not include the month and day, but perhaps the election took place in May for the ensuing year. Officers were Paul Ricks, president; George Wicks, vice president, and Bob Smith, secretary-treasurer. Directors were Joe Bazler, Gene Dorsey, Kenneth Yost, and David Crouse. A number of committees were also named: Attendance and membership; Health and welfare; Civic improvement, education, recreation, community and community fair; finance committee; Boy Scout committee; program chairmen; and committee for the 1960 banquet. The Dayton Community Club met once a month at a dinner meeting to discuss problems and projects of the community. The club sponsored Boy Scouts and helped support summer recreation programs for boys. It began in 1949, and had been preceded by the Dayton Commercial Club that was organized in 1922. In the 1930s, it sponsored outdoor movies shown behind the school.