This Day in Dayton, 16 April

April                Organized in April 1861, as the Civil War began, the DAYTON GRAVEL ROAD Company had the pike through Dayton graveled from where Newcastle Road [just east of SIA today] met the Dayton Pike, eastward to the Clinton County line. A toll would be charged and toll houses would be located both east and west of town. A pole was placed across the road to stop traffic for collection of the toll.

Susan ClawsonComment