Rich in history, starting in 1827

Dayton Historic District.jpg

The Dayton Historic District, created in 2003, represents an early market town and transportation crossroads for pioneer settlement. The earliest settlers arrived in 1825 and by 1827 there were enough home sites to create the feeling of community. The first plats, for Marquis and Fairfield, were filed in 1829. In 1830 a plat for an addition to the town of Fairfield was filed. As the community grew, it desired a post office. When it was discovered that the post office would not allow the use of the name Fairfield, the town’s name was changed to Dayton, thus avoiding the conundrum, which happened elsewhere, of having a town with one name containing a post office with a different name. (From The Daytonian)

Dave LeiningerComment