This Day in Dayton, 11 December
In 1852, the Lafayette and Indianapolis railroad cut across the farmers’ fields on its way to Lafayette, bringing change in its wake. It crossed the road west out of Wyandott at the Sheffield-Wea township line. The first train steamed by en route to Lafayette on December 11, 1852 (Kriebel, 16 Sept. 1983 column). On land owned by Morris Crane Culver, a station was built that came to be known as Culver’s Station, and Culver opened a store there (1866 map), and a post office was established. The settlement was once the home of some 150 people (TCHA map). Later the name was changed to Crane Station, and today it is called North Crane.