This Day in Dayton, 25 December

On December 24, 1861 the 40th regiment arrived at Indianapolis from Lafayette. An article in an Indianapolis paper described the regiment as composed of “mostly prairie boys.” The regiment carried two flags, one a regular United States army flag, fringed with gold, the other a blue regimental flag fringed with gold and bearing the American coat of arms and the name of the regiment (Battle Flags and Organizations, p. 269). On December 31, the regiment left Indianapolis for Louisville (Scribners).

Susan ClawsonComment