This Day in Dayton, 19 October
On October 19, 1861 a meeting was held at Culver’s Station to start a blanket drive for the Union Soldiers. People came from Sheffield and Lauramie townships, as well as Wea township, and committees were appointed for each township to solicit blankets and other clothing needed by the soldiers. The Sheffield township committee was George Lemon, Henry Burkhalter, John Dodson, Barry Revis, D. H. Crouse, and Basil Steele. Augustus Kilgore, a trustee of the Dayton Presbyterian Church, was one of the men on the Lauramie township committee.